Being able to see and experience new things, interact with new people, and discover various cultures is one of the greatest pleasures of traveling. The negative? When you’re trying to keep track of all your trip’s paperwork and luggage it can be incredibly challenging!
Fortunately, Bologna has “Deposito Bagagli” offices as well as many luggage storage companies that you can use in order to store your belongings near the city’s major attractions and stations. Like this, you won’t have to carry your luggage around and you’ll enjoy your visit worry-free.
Bologna, one of Italy’s most distinctive, lovely, and underestimated cities, will make you feel like a local instead of a tourist. While miles of UNESCO-listed porticoes paint the streets with unique architectural perspectives and transforming them into a moving artwork, the city’s nickname, La Rossa, comes from its medieval terracotta rooftops.
You’ll find anything from dive bars, hipster boutiques, hidden galleries, and people wandering the alleyways beneath the city’s columns. Moreover, Bologna is one of the most politically and socially progressive cities in Italy, and it also holds the distinction of being the nation’s gastronomic center. Not an easy task in a nation known for its delectable cuisine!
So, if you’ve just landed in Bologna Guglielmo Marconi airport and want to discover Bologna’s hidden gems but you’re in the search of safe luggage storage solutions, this guide will help you find the most suitable option for you!
Storing your Luggage at your Hotel
Even if you’re visiting Bologna for a few hours or for a few days, it is important not to carry heavy weights so as to wander around and explore the city without carrying your luggage around. Most of the time you can leave your luggage at your hotel or use a luggage storage facility.
Most of the hotels in Bologna have a luggage storage facility, or they can keep your luggage for a fee, before or after you check in. Note that you can leave your items at the front desk staff at smaller hotels, but, at larger or more expensive hotels, you will need to leave your bags with the concierge.
Luggage Storage Options in Bologna
Stasher is the world’s largest luggage storage network as they provide safe, affordable, and user-friendly luggage storage services. The service puts you in touch with hotels and local businesses that provide extra space where you can store your luggage while you’re exploring the city!
Stasher’s insured luggage storage service connects you with hundreds of hotels and local businesses that can store your bags safely and affordably. Making a booking takes less than 3 minutes by simply using the search bar on stasher.com to find the luggage storage point that best suits your needs in terms of location and opening hours. Then, all you have to do is choose the approximate drop-off and pick-up times and book online!
You will immediately receive a booking confirmation email with all the necessary info. There are several locations available in Bologna, with StashPoints just around the corner from Bologna Centrale Train Station, the Ghetto Ebraico, and Piazza Maggiore.
Bounce is a fast-growing luggage storage company with around 40 luggage storage locations in Bologna. Bounce prices start at €5 per bag per day. The company offers up to €10,000 of insurance for your luggage, and they provide 24/7 customer support to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Nannybag offers luggage lockers in the city of Bologna, located near train stations, monuments, and major attractions. Note that Eelway luggage storage network has now merged with Nannybag so you’ll be redirected to Nannybag’s website when booking with Eelway.
You can make an online reservation by visiting their website and book one of the luggage lockers available. Their prices start from 6€ per day.
Once there, you will need to show your ID and you can easily store your belongings. Nannybag also insures each item up to 1000€ in case of loss or theft.
Luggage Storage in Bologna G. Marconi Airport
The luggage storage office was located on the first floor of the Main Terminal but the service is temporarily suspended.
However, you can use a luggage storage facility near the airport to store your luggage safely and discover Bologna worry-free.
Luggage Storage in Bologna’s Train and Bus Stations
Bologna Centrale Station
- Stow your bags is an automatic luggage storage service situated at Viale Pietro Pietramellara, 27 c. You can book it online or directly on spot. Their prices range from €1,99 to €18,49 depending on the size of the locker and the duration. The service is open daily from 07:00 to 23:00.
- KiPoint is a “Deposito Bagagli” office situated inside the station in the western area. The luggage deposit office is open daily from 07:00 to 21:00 and their prices are €10 per item per day.
Autostazzione di Bologna bus station
- Stow your bags is an automatic luggage storage service situated at Viale Pietro Pietramellara, 27 c. It is a 7-minute walk away from the bus station. You can book it online or directly on spot. Their prices range from €1,99 to €18,49 depending on the size of the locker and the duration. The service is open daily from 07:00 to 23:00.
- BO4U is a luggage storage facility situated at Via Monte Grappa, 22m, and it is a 7-minute ride away with bus lines 11 or 15. The service is open daily from 08:00 to 22:00 and their prices range from €9 to €17 per day per locker.
Luggage Storage in Bologna’s Museums and Art Galleries
National Art Gallery of Bologna
- Lockers and cloakrooms remain closed. Backpacks and bags larger than 40 x 40 x 20 centimeters are not permitted in the galleries.
- BO4U is a luggage storage facility situated at Via Monte Grappa, 22m, and it is a 10-minute ride away from the gallery. You can take the bus lines 20, 14, or 89. The service is open daily from 08:00 to 22:00 and their prices range from €9 to €17 per day per locker.
Bologna’s Museum of Modern Art – MAMbo
- There’s a cloakroom available at the museum’s entrance. However, backpacks and bags exceeding the permitted size are not allowed in the exhibition rooms
- You can use KiPoint luggage storage facilities situated inside the station in the western area. The luggage deposit office is open daily from 07:00 to 21:00 and their prices are €10 per item per day.
Archaeological Civic Museum
- There is a cloakroom by the museum’s entrance. Note that entry to the museum is not permitted with bags, backpacks, umbrellas and cumbersome objects; these personal objects may be left in the special lockers.
- You can use BO4U lockers situated at Via Monte Grappa, 22m, which is a 7-minute walk away from the museum. The service is open daily from 08:00 to 22:00 and their prices range from €9 to €17 per day per locker.
Basilica di San Petronio
- You are not allowed to carry any bags, backpacks, and any other large items in the Basilica. Keep in mind that there is no cloakroom or lockers available.
- You can use a safe luggage storage facility in Piazza Maggiore and near the Basilica of San Petronio.
Medieval Civic Museum
- There’s a cloakroom available at the entrance of the museum. Handbags, backpacks, umbrellas and other bulky objects are not allowed into the Museum but you can use their lockers to store your items during your visit.
Palazzo Pepoli – History Museum of Bologna
- There’s a cloakroom you can during your visit which is free of charge.
- You can use BO4U lockers situated at Via Monte Grappa, 22m, which is a 10-minute walk away from the museum. The service is open daily from 08:00 to 22:00 and their prices range from €9 to €17 per day per locker.
International Museum and Library of Music
- Inside the bookshop, there’s a cloakroom service available where you can store large bags, book bags, and luggage. You will have to deposit these items inside lockers which can be locked with a key by inserting a 1 euro coin (which will be returned upon opening the locker).
Geological Museum Giovanni Capellini
- There’s a free cloakroom service for leaving your personal and small items such as coats, jackets, umbrellas, etc.
- You can use KiPoint luggage storage facilities situated inside Bologna Centrale station in the western area. The luggage deposit office is open daily from 07:00 to 21:00 and their prices are €10 per item per day. The museum is a 20-minute walk away or a 10-minute ride away with buses 32, 36, or 99.
Luggage Storage with Stasher in Bologna
From its humble beginnings in the founder’s London apartment, Stasher has grown to provide over 6,000 StashPoints in more than 400 cities worldwide. Stasher’s purpose is to assure you that their luggage storage network is safe and offers multiple locations worldwide in order to cater to your traveling needs.
Stasher’s trustworthy luggage storage network makes things easier when you arrive at your destination, whether you’re storing your luggage in Bologna or elsewhere in Italy.
There are many advantages to storing your luggage with Stasher. Here are just a few listed below:
- Partner with well-known hotel chains such as Premier Inn, Marriott International, and Accor Hotels
- Each item you store with Stasher is insured for up to €1,000
- Award-winning customer service, available 24/7
- Every one of their StashPoints has been vetted by a member of the Stasher Team
- No size or weight restrictions
- Stasher is 50% cheaper than train station lockers and alternative luggage storage services
- They have 21,120+ reviews averaging 4.8 on Feefo